After leaving Rome, we drove north through the breathtaking Italian mountains – driving on winding, narrow roads through forgotten medieval towns perched atop the hills. Our Italian road trip adventure continued from Rome all the way up to Tuscany.
We arrived in Montepulciano, a Tuscan hill town known world-wide for it’s delicious wine, as well as it’s cheese and ‘pici’ pasta. The town can be seen from afar as it sits on one of Tuscany’s many rolling hills. We were pleasantly surprised to find that our hotel was perched atop a neighboring hill so we had incredible 360-degree views of of the Tuscan views and Montepulciano. Once we had soaked in the view and watched sunset, we wasted no time exploring the town and the area.
Suggestions for Tuscany:
- Explore the Fosso Bianco hot springs near Bagni San Filippo (about a 25 minute drive from Montepulciano
- Get lost in the streets of the old town and stop by the Contucci Wine tasting room
- Climb to the top of the Palazzo Comunale for incredible views (you an even climb all the way up to the top of the bell tower!)
- Visit Salcheto Winery for a delicious lunch and wine tasting with a view of Montepulciano
- Find a cozy spot to watch the sunset – they are incredible!
- BONUS: If you’re lucky you may even catch a movie being filmed! While we were there, we got to watch the filming of The Medici’s with Dustin Hoffman and Richard Madden (Game of Thrones).